Faculty List in Alphabetical Order
Director of Graduate Studies for BMCB, Marcus Smolka, email@example.com, 607-255-0274
- Eric E. Alani: Genetic and biochemical studies in Saccharomyces cerevisiae aimed at understanding the role of DNA mismatch repair in maintaining genome stability.
- Yimon Aye: Biocompatible synthetic methodology; chemical biology; mechanistic biochemistry; mammalian cell biology
- Barbara A. Baird: Structures and molecular mechanisms of cell surface receptors operative in immune responses
- Daniel Barbash: Molecular evolution
- Jeremy Baskin: Chemical biology and cell biology of lipid signaling
- Anthony P. Bretscher: Microfilament organization and function in animal and yeast cells
- William J. Brown: Intracellular membrane trafficking and organelle biogenesis
- Richard A. Cerione: Signal transduction; growth factor receptors
- Pamela V. Chang: Host-microbe interactions, gut microbiome, microbiology, and immunology
- Joshua Chappie: Structure and function of nucleotide-driven molecular machines; bacterial pathogenesis and defense systems; protein-nucleic acid interactions; X-ray crystallography
- Paula Cohen: Investigation of the molecular regulation of meiotic recombination and crossing over in the mouse
- Ruth Collins: Mechanism of action of Rab GTPases
- Benjamin D. Cosgrove: Signal transduction systems biology; skeletal muscle stem cells; aging
- Brian Crane: Research in the Crane Group is directed towards understanding interactions among proteins, electrons, and photons.
- Matthew DeLisa: Biomolecular engineering; biopharmaceuticals; cellular machinery; glycobiology and glycoengineering; protein engineering; synthetic biology
- Scott Emr: Cell signaling and membrane dynamics
- Gerald W. Feigenson: Lipid-protein interactions; membrane structure; cholesterol effects; Molecular Dynamics membrane simulations.
- Thomas D. Fox: Mitochondrial genes; nuclear gene regulation
- Chris Fromme: How cells maintain their internal organization through regulated protein transport and membrane trafficking events.
- Maria J. Garcia-Garcia: Regulation of cell motility during embryonic development in mice and flies.
- Michael L. Goldberg: Drosophila genetics; molecular analysis of transvection effects and mitotic mutants
- Andrew Grimson: Eukaryotic gene regulation, post-transcriptional gene regulation, small RNAs, microRNA (miRNA), 3’ UTRs, evolution.
- Chun Han: Dendrite development; dendrite degeneration; dendrite/neuronal environment interaction; neural development
- Maureen R. Hanson: Transcriptomes in humans and plants; RNA editing; cell biology of organelles
- John D. Helmann: Regulation of gene expression; enzymology of RNA polymerase
- Gunther Hollopeter: Use of C. elegans to study the endocytic machinery
- Fenghua Hu: Axon regeneration and neurodegeneration.
- Tim C. Huffaker: Microtubule assembly and function and yeast cells/mechanisms of chromosome segregation
- Toshi Kawate: Molecular mechanisms of extracellular signaling; membrane receptors; ion channels; X-ray crystallography; electrophysiology; biochemistry
- Ailong Ke: X-ray crystallography; structural biology and biochemistry focusing on RNA 3'-end formation and turnover and RNA-protein complexes
- Amnon Koren: Genomics of DNA replication timing and mutagenesis
- Natasza Kurpios: Organ morphogenesis, cell shape & architecture, angiogenesis, lyphatics, developmental genomics, chromatin looping, long-noncoding RNA, cancer
- Hojoong Kwak: Identifying regulatory regions of the genome in human population; regulation of RNA lifespan in stress response; single cell genomics
- Jan Lammerding: Cellular biomechanics; mechanotransduction signaling; nuclear envelope proteins; cancer; muscular dystrophy and heart disease; premature aging; stem cells
- Siu Sylvia Lee: Molecular Determinants of Longevity and Stress Response
- Ruth Ley: Microbiome; microbial ecology of the mammalian gut; host-microbial interactions and co-evolution
- Sergiy Libert: Aging; longevity; sirtuins; behavior; neurodegeneration
- David M. Lin: The Lin lab uses molecular, genetic and genomic tools to study the developmentand degeneration of the nervous system, focusing on the mouse olfactory system.
- Hening Lin:
Enzyme Function & Regulation of Metabolism
- Maurine Linder: Regulation of signal transduction and protein trafficking by palmitoylation
- John T. Lis: Gene regulation and chromatin structure
- Jun "Kelly" Liu: Mechanisms of signal transduction (BMP signaling); cell fate diversification and differentiation of pluripotent progenitor cells in the mesoderm
- Yuxin Mao: Structural biology; membrane trafficking, phosphoinositide signalling.
- June B. Nasrallah: Cell-cell interactions in plants; molecular mechanisms underlying cell surface receptor action; signal transduction
- Linda Nicholson: Structural and dynamics studies of phosphorylated and unphosphorylated pp60c-src; structural and dynamics studies of yeast MCM1
- Alex Nikitin: Cancer pathogenesis; stem cells; microRNAs; genetically modified mouse models; stem cell pathology.
- Jeffrey Pleiss: Area of RNA biology
- Shu-Bing Qian: Protein synthesis and degradation, mRNA translation and aging research.
- Jeffrey W. Roberts: Procaryotic gene expression; transcription mechanisms; control of DNA repair
- David Russell: The interplay between Mycobacterium tuberculosis and it's host cell, the macrophage
- John Schimenti: Mammalian Genetics, reproductive biology, maintenance of genome integrity and development
- Frank Schroeder: Structures and biological functions of small molecular metabolites in C. elegans and other model organisms.
- Carolyn S. Sevier: Signaling of cellular oxidative stress; molecular mechanisms used by cellular pathways that sense and signal redox imbalances within the cell.
- David I. Shalloway: Theoretical and computational optimization of SELEX, computational modeling in cell biology.
- Marcos Simoes-Costa:
Cell differentiation; control of gene expression; gene regulatory networks
- Marcus Smolka: Proteomics; cell signaling; DNA damage response.
- Paul Soloway: Functional genomic analysis in mice; epigenetics; innate immunity.
- Holger Sondermann: Molecular mechanism and regulation of cellular signal transduction.
- David B. Stern: Gene expression in chloroplasts and mitochondria
- Patrick Stover: Regulation of folic acid-mediated one-carbon metabolism; determination of the metabolic role of leucovorin/ elucidation of the factors that contribute to serine hydroxymethyltransferase gene expression; regulation of glycine synthesis
- Tudorita Tumbar: Molecular control of tissue stem cells in the mouse; cell signaling; nuclear structure and function; skin morphogenesis and homeostasis
- Volker M. Vogt: Structure and assembly of retroviruses
- Michelle Wang: Studies of biological molecular motors using biophysical techniques
- Robert Weiss: Molecular mechanisms for
the maintenance of genomic stability; cellular responses to DNA damage;
mouse models of human cancer.
- Andrew White: Cancer and stem cell biology of epithelial tissues
- Gary Whittaker: Entry of influenza and coronaviruses into host cells
- David Wilson: Genetic engineering of cellulose degradation; bioremediation of heavy metals.
- Mariana Wolfner: Molecular genetics of insect reproductive proteins; molecular genetics of egg activation in Drosophila.
- Haiyuan Yu: Protein and Gene Networks
- Andre Bensadoun: Molecular biology and biochemistry of lypolytic enzymes
- Susan A. Henry: Genetic regulation of membrane phospholipid synthesis in yeast
- Peter C. Hinkle: Structure and function of membrane transporters
- Kenneth Kemphues: Cell biology in early embryonic development in C. elegans
- Sondra G. Lazarowitz: Virus-host interactions; nuclear shuttling in plant cells
- Bik-Kwoon Tye: Cell cycle and developmental regulation of the initiation of DNA replication in eukaryotes
- Watt W. Webb: Cellular and membrane biophysics; molecular mobility; channel molecules and transmembrane signaling; physical optics; biomedical instrumentation